Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Harts Draw

Had a great 4 days discovering Harts Draw and Bobbys Hole Canyon in late March.  I accessed Harts Draw from 211 on the first day and walked 4 miles up the canyon to get to Bobbys Hole.  
Hartworm Tower
I got two towers done that day but then had to head back home to go to work.  I knew I'd be back in a couple days so I left my climbing gear hidden behind a boulder so I wouldn't have to carry it back and forth. While at work I looked some more at Google maps and discovered what looked like an easier way into the towers.  
The Infarction
So a few days later when I returned, I accessed the area from 133.  The short section of dirt road was rough in a few spots but was a much shorter drive.  I parked next to two cairns on the side of the road and was pleasantly surprised to find a trail leading down into the canyon.   Luckily no one at taken my pack of gear and I climbed one more tower and hiked out with everything.  The plan was to meet Trevor and Cam to climb some other towers but back on the rim with good service I learned that the area was inaccessible because of the snow melt.  Cam bailed completely because he was sick but Trevor decided to come meet me.  Trevor arrived later that night and we looked at photos and made plans for the next two days.
Harts and Minds Tower
In the morning we carried the climbing gear back into the canyon and set our sights on the proudest looking tower in the area, The Infarction.  Things went smoothly and we were soon back on the ground planning the next day.  We walked over to Harts Draw Rincon Butte with no plans of  climbing it but found a easy route up.  We soloed up and down, happy to get another summit. 
Trevor leading the last pitch on The Infarction
On the last day we woke up to some flurries and weren't sure if we were going to get any climbing in.  However, our packs of climbing gear were in the canyon so we had to do the hike either way.   Luckily the weather cleared up and we were able to put up 3 more short routes.
Trevor and I on the summit of The Infarction

No comments:

Post a Comment